Monday, September 05, 2011

Bay Area Rapid Transit in 4, 3, 2...

So basically I have four days to go before the "big move" to SF. Apparently you don't call it San Fran or Frisco. Just SF or San Francisco. Boring! Oh well, I'm sure I'll say Frisco and someone will be bothered and possibly correct me several times. Nerds.

I have to admit. I am a wee bit anxious. I'm going there without a solid job. Well, sort of. I decided to keep freelancing with some former clients. Hit 'em up and some had a tiny bit of work for me to keep me fed and housed while there for the next month or so. Hallelujah!

You know it bugs me that people keep asking if I'm going for a job. As if that city isn't just a cool place to go and live and then find a job while there. It shouldn't bug me. I realize there is ignorance about our economy and the job market and the freelancers lifestyle and all, but I let it. I start to take it as they think I'm just some free wheeling hippie child that has no idea what I'm doing. Even after 5 months of research and three visits to the area. So it bugs me.

So I had this Reiki session with this cute little wilderness counselor girl who lives next door to the place I'm stayin in SLC before I go. She taught me how to claim my power and not let other people's ideas about what's best for me rattle me. It worked so far. I realized it didn't matter what other people thought. I wanted to get out of Utah, explore somewhere different and that San Francisco ("Frisco") is hip and happening and I want to be there.

Bonus is one of my oldest friends Cindy (who I've known since we were 3) might get to drive out with me. Yay!

Also, double bonus, I scored a room a block away from Haight-Ashbury, the historic beginnings of the hippie movement. It's the neighborhood where Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead were (musically) born and the merry pranksters mingled with war protestors.

Both my roommates have been to burning man and one has a boyfriend who works for Google. Apparently that happens often there. Lots of programmers. They are a bit older but seem pretty cool. One's an artist. The house has an old dog. It also has a washer and dryer, which is hard to come by in the city. There is also no parking so I may have to "rent" a parking spot in a garage three blocks away. But it is right across from the local Whole Foods. Also I have a vintage 50's Schwinn to get me around.

Wish me lots of luck and please let me know if you know people there who work in the Social Media industry. Also, come visit!

4 comments:

George Marie said...

Over the last year or so, I've picked up a few freelancing gigs here and there to help supplement my income as an instructor at the U. The fact of the matter is that it pays a lot better than jobs I could have taken elsewhere. I'm doing this gig at the U., part-time, where I get paid $20 an hour to do Apple and Google developing. I am the social media manager for the tutoring company I work for. You know what the perks are? I get to live my life on my own time and be my own boss. It's not a bad gig at all. Anyways, I hope that your trip goes lovely and that you enjoy your new city.

SJ said...

Thanks George! I didn't know you worked in social media as well...or did app development. That is a handy skill these days!

Anonymous said...

hey just wanted to let you know i'm near sf and heading out too pretty soon.

keep up the good work...humanity needs all the help we can get.

SJ said...

Anonymous, thanks! It is a project being human...or getting to accept and work with our humanity. Keep a reading!