Letter from Africa

This is a letter sent by a good friend of my younger brother, Seth. His name is Sama Nkowane (Ku-wain). He is from Uganda I believe. We used to call him Sam. My brother and Sama were working on some brilliant music before he, my brother, passed away. This was six years ago yesterday. I can't believe it has been that long since he's been gone. This is a beautiful letter from a good young man, a kid from Africa who was in my family ward and who enrolled himself in college at the age of 16 (LDS Business College - where my brother went). I wanted to share it here:

Hello everyone,

Just thought I would let you all know that I am doing alright. Its been a while since I was able to send out a group email, and so I thought I would just fill you all in because its getting harder and harder currently to reach each of you individually.

Firstly I would like to reassure all of you of the love that I have for you. You have all been dear friends and continue to be so. I hope that life is treating you all well with the blessings of the Lord resting upon you.

As I have sought to strengthen my faith I have witnessed time and time again more of the Lords blessings and influence in my life. Recently as I read 1 Peter 5 these verses pierced my heart and I thought I would share them with you.

“Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.”

I read this verse after singing the hymn “Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd”! At the bottom of the hymn are some scriptural references which I felt impressed to read.

As I read these verses, the spirit of the hymn was still fixed in my mind that I felt overwhelmed by the message being conveyed. I am the one sheep, not one of the ninety and nine! I’ve been out in desert wandering, hungry and helpless and cold. But my shepherd who cares for me shall never forsake me and is bringing me back to His Fathers kingdom.

I know that Heavenly Father cares deeply for you too! I hope you will think of that as you go about your day today!

I gained a stronger testimony of singing hymns in church meetings, family settings and even in private settings before prayer. As I knelt down to pray after that, I really felt myself communing with my Father in Heaven. I am grateful for the friend who sent me an email suggesting that I try to sing a hymn before personal prayer. Truly what greater gift can we know than Christ-like friends?

Well, apart from that, I am doing really well. Still enjoying school and just preparing to close for the semester.

My brother Isaac just got married and so we are trying out best to make his wife feel at home in Johannesburg although they just got robbed a few days ago. What a way to start your marriage hey!

Well, once again, I love you all and hope to hear from you!

Sama

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playing house

For the Crazy Ones