Daddy-O


This is a picture of me and my dad around Christmas time. The parents spent a good part of the winter in their RV at a park in Florida. They're knee-deep in geneological research in Illinoise at the moment, but this is the last time I saw dad in person.

Here's a few facts on the way dad's of today have changed from our "father's generation"

62 percent of today's dads learn about being a good parent from their own mother and 60 percent learn from their own wives/partners, while only 52 percent learn from their own father; in a head-to-head battle, today's fathers choose their moms over their dads as primary role models by a margin of 50 percent to 35 percent;

71 percent of today's dads feel that society does not appreciate the importance of fathers

88 percent of today's dads feel emotionally connected to their children; the same was true of only 35 percent of their fathers

89 percent of today's dads are comfortable showing their children affection; the same was true of only 34 percent of their fathers

74 percent of today's dads often act as a shoulder for their kids to cry on; the same was true of only 26 percent of their fathers

69 percent of today's dads often drive their kids to activities and playdates; the same was true of only 30 percent of their fathers

63 percent of today's dads often babysit their own children; the same was true of only 18 percent of their fathers

42 percent of today's dads often stay at home with their children when they are sick; the same was true of only 11 percent of their fathers

My dad is from that previous generation. We did not cry on his shoulder, or even in front of him unless we were in trouble. He worked a lot. He did not drive us to activities and play dates, and I do believe his favorite word was no. We did have our fights, especially when I became an independent teenager. But I do have to say we've both grown up quite a bit. and he was there, he took on the responsibility to provide for a family. It wasn't perfect, but he did the best he could and I love and respect him for it...though I am pretty happy to know the times they are a changin'. Pew Research

Comments

Unknown said…
My dad is takes after that previous generation as well, but he is getting more broken in all the time! ;) It will be interesting to see when I get married at some point how my husband will be a same/different father than my own. Great blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Playing house

Don't Touch My Junk