Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Just 90 more minutes...

I've been trying out this 90 minutes sleep thing lately. You figure out when you need to wake up and then calculate backwards in 90 minute increments. Why 90 minutes? This is the amount of time calculated for all humans to slip in and out of REM. The research, according to this guy, is that the reason we need sleep is not so much about resting your body as it is about allowing your mind to enter REM. We apparently need that creative download in life to function. Yes, oddly, we need to let our minds escape reality in order to cope and function within it in our waking life.

So I tried out the little experiment last night, allowing myself 4.5 hours of sleep (to wake up at 7:30). Not as much sleep as I'm accustomed to, but it actually worked. I was awake and ready to get up...then I looked at my alarm and determined there is no reason to get up at 7:30 am when I don't even have to move my car till 9...so back to sleep I went. It was really hard to get myself up at 8:30 to get ready and move my car. Much harder than waking up at 7:30. So I let myself sleep in for "10 more minutes". This turned into sleeping in till 9...and luckily when I went to get my car I did not have a ticket (hurray).

The other thing about this experiment is that I spent so much time thinking and calculating it out this morning that I didn't retain my dream. All I remember is that it was some sort of a journey in a three part series...

1 comment:

Steve said...

I'm a firm believer in this. I plan my bedtime based on 90 minute increments. It's also why snooze alarms are bad and people that use them tend to report being "sleepy" more than people that get up on the first alarm.

I work best on either 7 1/2 hours of sleep or 9. 8 to 8.5 hours makes me very sluggish.